Thursday, August 26, 2010

Medora, ND: Almost Home

I've drove for nearly 18 hours since yesterday and decided to make my last stop before home a slightly longer one. That is where Medora, ND comes in. A small town, filled with historic shops, and more tourists then residents...
Medora has a surprising amount to offer. A massively expensive (but still delicious) pizza at the Badlands Pizza Parlor Saloon, and a Wicked Cheap cinnamon roll (which was larger then my pizza) filled my gut to the brim. Its an agreeable place, with amazing cellular coverage for North Dakota's standards (using cellular tethering to my laptop right now) and despite the blistering 110 degree weather, feels like a great place to go camping. Still on the agenda is a 2.5 mile hike with camp gear in tow, maybe a free musical tonight, and a campfire with strangers. There are a few cautions I've been given... don't bother the prairie dogs (they don't like strangers) and watch out for yellow rattlesnakes. Hopefully I will get some swim time in tonight before bed. I have a solid 8 hours to go tomorrow.

A few interesting sights along the way:
Flocks of birds playing chicken with my care (some didn't win)
prairie dogs watching as cars zoomed by (considerably more cautious then the birds)
Giant plastic Jelly beans at Cowboy Lyle's Candy and Western Wear
a Traffic jam with cows
A Tree growing out of the road
rudimentary weather machines
amazing sunrise and sunset in Montana
windmill blades trucking down the highway
an old lady that flew passed me on the highway (I was going 85!)
Crop dusters flying too close for comfort
Joey "O" the Acrobatic Golf Comedian

Lets see what tomorrow has in store!

No comments: